Being safe and secure where you live is important, this section tells you about the help and support you can get to make your own happy home.
For all ages
- Your PA will give you information about the types of accommodation that may be available for you
- Supported lodgings
- Independent Living
- Staying put.
- We will tell you who the link person is between the Children’s Trust and the Housing Department at the council.
- We will support you if you have a housing crisis or think you are at risk of becoming homeless.
- We will give you £30 to help buy luggage if you need it to move your things.
Staying Put (18-21)
- If you are living with foster carers, you may have the option to stay there after you turn 18. This can sometimes be until you reach 21.
- If you and your foster carer choose for you to stay put, your PA will help you get ready for the time you do move out.
- If you are staying put, we will help you claim benefits to pay your rent.
Supported Lodgings or Semi-Independent (16+)
- There are a small number of supported living and semi-independent flats in Sandwell. These can be suitable for Care Leavers that have left care and are not ready to live independently.
- Your PA will talk to you about these options.
- This could be a council, housing association or private landlord property. If you want to live on your own your PA will help, support and tell you where you can get other advice from.
- We will work with Sandwell’s housing department to support you in securing a tenancy. You will be treated as a ‘band 1’ priority.
- If you are leaving custody we will help you to find a suitable place to live.
* For the financial help we will give you when setting up your new home including help with council tax visit the finance – because money matters page