Skip to content

Your accommodation

Being safe and secure where you live is important, this section tells you about the help and support you can get to make your own happy home.

For all ages

  • Your PA will give you information about the types of accommodation that may be available for you
    • Supported lodgings
    • Semi-Independent
    • Independent Living
    • Staying put.
  • We will tell you who the link person is between the Children’s Trust and the Housing Department at the council.
  • We will support you if you have a housing crisis or think you are at risk of becoming homeless.
  • We will give you £30 to help buy luggage if you need it to move your things.

When you are 16-17 years old

  • We will make sure you have a safe home that meets your needs.
  • We will work with you to make sure that you understand what your rights are and what you are entitled to.
  • We can help you register with Sandwell council for your own property, although you won’t be able to have your own property until you are at least 17 years old.

Staying Put (18-21)

  • If you are living with foster carers, you may have the option to stay there after you turn 18. This can sometimes be until you reach 21.
  • If you and your foster carer choose for you to stay put, your PA will help you get ready for the time you do move out.
  • If you are staying put, we will help you claim benefits to pay your rent.

Supported Lodgings or Semi-Independent (16+)

  • There are a small number of supported living and semi-independent flats in Sandwell. These can be suitable for Care Leavers that have left care and are not ready to live independently.
  • Your PA will talk to you about these options.

Independent Living

  • This could be a council, housing association or private landlord property. If you want to live on your own your PA will help, support and tell you where you can get other advice from.
  • We will work with Sandwell’s housing department to support you in securing a tenancy. You will be treated as a ‘band 1’ priority.
  • If you are leaving custody we will help you to find a suitable place to live.


* For the financial help we will give you when setting up your new home including help with council tax visit the finance – because money matters page