Your health & wellbeing if you are a Relevant Care Leaver
Health & wellbeing
We want you to have a healthy and happy life where you keep active. This section lists all the things we will do to make sure you are fighting fit!
For all ages
- We will tell you about the places and organisations that can help you. These include:
- Child Line 0800 1111 which provides 24-hour support.
- Kooth – an app that provides safe, anonymous counselling. This is mainly for young people up to the age of 19, but they will help you in you are up to 25 and have additional needs.
- Beam – a wellbeing service which is really helpful
- A specialist nurse works with Care Leavers to give support and advice.
- We will tell you how you can access counselling services and mental health services.
- We will tell you where you can get help with childcare.
- We will give a ‘One Card’ pass that gives you access to all leisure facilities operated by Sandwell Leisure Trust. This includes swimming pools, gyms and exercise classes. You can find out more on the Sandwell Leisure Trust website
- We will tell you where you can get sexual health advice including free contraceptives.
When you are 16-17 years old
- You will have access to DECCA who can support you if you think you have a problem with substance misuse.
- You will have access to Kaleidoscope, who can support you with any emotional health issues. Your social worker will tell you about this.
When you reach 18 years old
- You will be provided with a ‘Health Passport’ so you know and understand your health history. This is also available as an app for your smartphone, computer or tablet.
- We will help you register with a GP, dentist and opticians if you haven’t already done this.
- You will have access to alcohol and substance misuse services if you need them. You can access these services by visiting www.cranstoun.org/service/cranstoun-sandwell
- We will help you get help to attend hospital or doctor’s appointments.
- If you need additional services as you become an adult, we will support you alongside Sandwell’s Adults Services where the need for continuity of care exists.
- You will be able to access psychological therapies, counselling and low level therapeutic services. You can speak to your doctor about this or go through the Sandwell Wellbeing Hub, which you can find at www.sandwellbeing.co.uk