About your local offer
What is the Local Offer?
- The Local Offer tells you what you are entitled to by law, and what other things Sandwell can do to help you.
Why is this so important?
- Moving into adulthood is a big step, and we want to make sure that you have all the information you need, feel supported and most importantly know where you can go for help.
- We hope that this information will be useful to you.
Who is this information for?
- Young people who have been in care in Sandwell and are now aged between 16-25.
Who has helped us put it together?
- Care Leavers in Sandwell have worked with the Trust and our partners – including health, the police, DWP, Children’s Society and education providers.
How should I use this information?
- Your Personal Adviser will be able to help you understand our Local Offer.
- We have put the information into groups, so you can find what you need. To try and make things even easier we have told you what support is available for different age groups.
Before we start
- There are some things that we wanted to explain before getting into the detail
- You will be given a Personal Adviser (PA) when you are 18, but in some cases, this might be sooner. They will support you until you are 25 and should be the first person you ask for help or advice.
- You may have a social worker until you are 25, but only if you are vulnerable or need extra help.
- People that are important to you will help you write a Pathway Plan which sets out your needs, views and future goals. Your PA will keep checking this plan with you to make sure it’s up to date.
- The Leaving Care Team will always be there to help you and give you more information. Along with your PA we are all here to help you get ready to live independently.
- Sandwell Children’s Trust and all its partners are your Corporate Parents. This means that we will do everything we can do to give you the opportunities that other children and young people get. Our partners – like health services, education, the police and the voluntary sector – will keep working together to make this local offer better.
- There is a Care Leaver’s Charter which we think is important. We promise:
- To respect and honour your identity
- To believe in you
- To listen to you
- To make sure you have the information you need
- To always support you
- To find you a home
- To be your lifelong champion